07 August 2008

Off the Bubble: Inside look at Chantz Powell

TIME CAPSULES

Chantz Powell
Cherry Hill East
Senior

Accomplishment: One of South Jersey's top 110 hurdlers, Cherry Hill East senior Chantz Powell barely advanced out of the South Jersey Group 4 Sectional Champion May 24, placing sixth in a sub-par 14.94 – galaxies from his personal-best 14.40. Still, he just appreciates an extra chantz to rebound. Bound for the Rutgers University-New Brunswick next fall, Powell hopes to improve upon that time at the State Championships, possibly at Meet of Champions and, if all else fails, at college. He's also a threat in the 400 hurdles, having ran a season-best 56.0.

Hobbies: "I like to go to the movies and just hang out with my friends. Video games and movies, stuff like that."

Favorite movie: Superbad

Favorite TV show: Law & Order

Favorite junk food: Fried Snickers bar

Favorite real food: Chicken marsala

Favorite music group/artist: Kayne West (recently caught his Philly show)

Favorite subject: Calculus

Why track: "People have been trying to get me to come out for track since I was 10. I played soccer and basketball then and people saw how fast I was. The spring of my sophomore year I finally went out and I've loved it since then."

Favorite event: "Even though I think the 110 hurdles is my best, the 400 hurdles is my favorite. "

What will you remember from your senior year: "Watching [Camden Catholic senior] Kevin McDonnell run the 3,200 at the South Jersey Distance Night (9:17.5). It was pretty impressive. I want to see him do something really fast at the Meet of Champions. He had three people pacing him!"

Five years from now … : "I see myself possibly going to graduate school, probably for business, and do some track even after college."

No comments: