07 August 2008

Lean at line never has hurt, Johnson wins MoC 1,600

(pub June 6)
SOUTH PLAINFIELD – Most distance runners don't practice leaning at the finish line. Then again, most distance runners don't come close to meet records.

Going into the NJSIAA Track and Field Meet of Champions Thursday, Ocean City junior Brett Johnson knew it would take every effort to break the 2003 mark of 4:09.20, set by fellow Ocean City runner John Richardson.

Against the best of the state's best at Frank Jost Field in South Plainfield, Johnson was undeterred, taking the first half out in a subpar 2:10 and then closing it with a winning 1:59 -- and a history-setting lean.

"I knew one race [the lean] was going to pay off, and it paid off for me today," Johnson said. "I crossed the line and I was like 'Oh come on, give it to me."

Johnson was one of five winners for South Jersey, but with a 4:09.03, was the only one to set a record.

Franklin senior Jermaine Coore trailed Johnson for three laps, but in Johnson's mind, Manalapan junior Rob Andrews -- and the legend of ability to finish furiously – was more present.

"I didn't know how good his kick was. I just kept hearing about how good it was," Johnson said. "I know I had a decent kick, but I didn't know whether it could compare to his.
"I think this is the first race I was honestly scared about somebody's kick in the mile."

After opening a nice led, Johnson lost Coore and matched Andrews stride-for-stride on the last lap, flying in 58 seconds. Washington Township junior Xavier Fraction finished fourth in a personal-best 4:15.66.

"I know I was going quick on that last lap, but I didn't think I was going 58," Johnson said.

Johnson missed much of the championship last season after discovering a stress fracture in his foot following his 1,600 and 3,200 wins at sectionals.

After coming back to lead South Jersey cross country this fall, Johnson trained off the beaten track, in fact, off the track altogether, by playing basketball during the winter.

Johnson came back later to run the 800 and felt good until the start.

"I went into the race thinking 'My legs feel good, my legs feel good, my legs feel good.' The first 100 in I knew I was done," said Johnson, who finished in 1:57.86 behind fourth-place finisher Absegami junior Ford Palmer (1:53.83). "I was just taking it one race at a time and I poured everything in the [1,600]."

Another basketball player in the winter, Kingsway senior RJ Page got off the blocks fast and expanded his lap against runners-up Absegami Geoff Navarro (10.92) and Bridgeton senior Charles Allen (10.96) en route to his 100 win in 10.76

"I know if I get out there, nobody's going to beat me," Page said. "About 60 meters in, I kind of see people on the outside with me, but I kept pushing it and staying relaxed. Then I saw myself in first."

Navarro and Palmer would join senior Demetrius Rooks and Santiago Galeano in helping Absegami edge Winslow Township's relay in the 4x400 relay.

Navarro gave the Braves an early lead by opening with a 47.2 split and Rooks took it back, running down Winslow senior Barry Cephas on the last lap for a season-best 3:15.77 finish in the final event.

Rooks started the meet off right too. The senior said he felt like he needed a perfect race to stay perfect in the 400 intermediate hurdles.

With 12 other competitors dipping under 55-seconds, Rooks managed to stay ahead of the curve, running a personal-best 53.31 for South Jersey's first title of the day.

"I know I couldn't mess up, because the top guys are here but I still hit the third or fourth hurdle," Rooks said. "On the last 120, once I started sprinting I got away from them."

Egg Harbor Township senior Stevenson Cajuste was the meet's other South Jersey champion, outleaping Moorestown senior Bryan Burnham (22-9.75) to win the long jump in a personal-best 23-3.25.

Another strong performances came from Timber Creek junior Montez Blair, who jumped 6-10 but not before winner Qaadir Tudor of West Orange.

Shawnee sophomore David Forward finished as South Jersey's top 3,200 runner Thursday, finishing fourth in 9:09.04 despite kicking earlier than he wanted.

"I thought I heard someone yell 'Two laps left' when there was really three to go," Forward said. "I wasn't even thinking. I've never been that drained all season.
I completely drained myself and that's what I wanted to do in my last race."

No comments: