20 September 2008

Coffee gouging

The goal: Every day, one new thought, some of which I will even post.

“Would you like room for sugar and cream?”

Not fully hearing the barista, I say, “Yes, sugar and cream please.”

Biggest mistake of my life. I’m looking at it right now. Not only is my medium missing a third of its mediumness, but now I have to add my own fixings. Ahhhhhh. How generous Starbucks is with its empty portions!

What kind of question is that anyway? It’s a question deserving of an answer like, “Nah, that’s OK; I can make my own room. I was planning on drinking part of it anyway.”

It’s like a pizza man* needing to know whether you plan on sprinkling your pie with crushed red pepper, then, upon confirming your spicy intentions, hands you over a box minus three slices.

Also, if the barista must badger, couldn't she word the question like, "Wit' or wit' out sugar and cream?"? That might offset some of emasculation I feel when in one of these places.

*(I would've used the more politically correct “pizza person” if it didn’t sound like the person was made of pizza, ala the Gingerbread Man.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! my.. that's the biggest mistake of your life?

Leigh said...

I think they do that so people don't spill out their coffee when there's not enough "room for cream." Then it melts a hole in the garbage bag, and someone has to clean it up, haha.

Flanagan said...

steve, steve, steve. ok, ok. i laughed. a classic.